SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Do I have the 39-312?

A handy person from Maryland says:
I have a 20-y.o. Weathershield awning window with an operator similar to your 39-312. Do you think I could make the 39-312 fit my window?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I can't say for sure without more information. When you compared the pictures and dimensions we have for the 39-312, how did they compare to your existing operator? How did they differ? If you're not sure, please show us a few pictures of your operator removed from the window along with detailed dimensions as compared to the 39-312 and we can work from there.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You can also consider our 39-348, which I believe was used in some Weathershield windows.
A quick learner from Maryland says:
Okay, I'll get to work on the measurements and pictures.

In general, do window makers actually make their own operators? Or do they just buy them ready-made from outside suppliers? When I asked Weathershield about a replacement they told me they would have to make one just for me (for $190) since they don't have parts for such old windows.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
No, typically a window manufacturer goes to a company that makes window operators. That price tag seems a little high, if you ask me. I would exhaust all other possibilities before you go that route.
A quick learner says:
My operator is sill-mounted, not face-mounted. The "wing span" (as shown for the 39-348) is 24". Do you need any dimensions other than what is shown in your picture?

Looking at the YouTube video for the 39-348, removing the old operator and installing the new will be easy. Great video and great website.

Please respond so I can then order all the necessary parts.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I agree, the 39-348 looks like the best match! As long as the arms are the correct length, I think you should be okay.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)