SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Do I need to level my track?

A quick learner from Winter Haven Florida says:
I am interesting in installing 80x103 sliding door track covers. The existing track has some dips in the existing tracks and I am concern the new track covers will bend at the existing dips. Do I need to fill/level the tracks? If yes, how? With epoxy mix? Thank you.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
That is a good idea. We do have a contractor who repairs patio doors and that is what he does to fill the gaps. It does take some extra work and time. Now if you use our taller track, 80-100, I don't believe you would have to worry about the dips in the existing track. The 80-100 is a heavier gauge metal and holds up quite well. You would, however, have to check to see if you have head clearance in you track. If you don't, you will have problems with the operation of the doors. If your track is in really bad shape, then maybe take a look at our 80-105 and 80-106 replacement tracks. To install either of them, you would have to cut off the existing track.

Also be sure to take a look at our tutorial video on how to install a sliding glass door track.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)