SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Does the 15-015 Pivot Shoe Have a Brake?

A handy person from Mechanicsville, MD says:
I need several pivot shoes for my Great Lakes windows. Your 15-015 pivot shoe has the correct dimensions, however, the pivot shoes in my windows have a brake so that the window will not move when tilted. I would like to get a pivot shoe that has a brake. Does your 15-015 have a brake? If not, could you suggest one with the same dimensions that has a brake? I looked at your 15-178 which has the correct dimensions and a brake, but it does not look like it will accept the 26-040 pivot bar, which is what I have on my windows. Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Our records are not not clear on what pivot shoe Great Lakes Windows use for their different types of double hung windows. If possible, could you send a photo with of your pivot shoe? That will help us confirm the best possible match.
Hi Paul. I've attached 2 pictures. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks!
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
That's perfect, thank you! Start with our 15-046 pivot shoe. This is 1-1/4" wide by 1/2" thick and appears to match quite well. Let me know how it compares to your hardware.
Hi Paul. My pivot shoe appears to be 17/32 thick, so that's why I was looking at your 15-015. But my question is, does the 15-015 or the 15-046 have a brake which prevents the window from moving when it is tilted? Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
The brake on the 15-015 is on the side and the brake on your pivot shoe and for our 15-046 are on the rear. I feel you would be all right with 15-046 pivot shoe.
Hi Paul - I just wanted to let you know that I purchased your 15-046 pivot shoe and it works perfectly in my Great Lakes windows. Thanks for all your help. FYI I also purchased the 75-005 spiral balance charging tool. The tool made it much easier to remove and attached the balance string to the pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Awesome! I'm so glad it worked out. Thank you for the update, and please let me know if you ever need anything else.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)