SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Door Window clips

A home owner from Indiana says:
I have been attempting to locate replacement window clips for my vintage storm door--I think the door was installed back in the early 60's and am unable to locate anything that will work. These clips are 1/2 inch all the way around. Currently, the windows are being held in with duct tape but I would rather have the clips. I attempted to take a couple decent pics of the clips I have but it turned out blurry.
User submitted photos of a storm door window clip.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You do have a strange clip. I thought I had seen it all, but you just proved me wrong! My first thought was our 70-109 clip. This clip fits into a small cut out on the door while the screw presses up against the screen or glass panel in the door, which secures it. How does your clip secure the panels in the door? Could the 70-109 work?
So...I bought a few of the 70-109 clips hoping they would work. I finally managed to get two to work after falling out of the door about 10 times. The problem is, there is a space behind the frame of the door where the window goes in. The clips have to fit through that as well to hold everything securely. If these clips had more of a hook on them, I believe they would work. I'm thinking duct tape will continue to be my best option.
Profile picture of Dave
I know what you mean. I've seen every clip know to man, and I know this looks familiar, but I can not place it and I cannot find anything closer no matter how hard I look. However, if you still want to try to hold your panels in without duct tape, take a look at our 70-214 and see if this might be better. If all else fails, try the standard 70-110 clip or the deep reach 70-098S and install them in your door with a regular #8 X 3/4" sheet metal screw. These may also work.
Believe it or not, I tried all three suggestions and none will work. Heck, I even bought a bunch of clips from eBay thinking they would work. Nope, no such luck. I will keep looking & hoping. I am going to try to put the lower window screen in this weekend using the 70-109 clips & see what happens. I haven't had it in for years. I don't wanna try the upper window until I am positive they will be OK because I have to climb on a ladder, which is how I lost all the originals in the first place! LOL
I ran across casement clips on a Google search this morning and am thinking possibly the 70-127 would work. Do these come with a screw? My brilliant idea of trying the screen in the lower panel did not work mainly because I could locate the panel. My next brilliant idea was to duct tape screen wire to the door...that worked for about 15 minutes before the wind took it out...
Profile picture of Dave
It sounds like you are talking about re-screening your screens with new screen wire. If that's the case, you would need to use the "spline" to hold the screen material into you screen frame. As for the clip, the 70-127 does not come with a screw. I would suggest our 33-017 #8 X 1" screw.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)