SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacing knob type handle set

A contractor from Occoquan VA says:

I have attached some pictures of the storm door that I am working with and the handle that I want to replace. Let me know what you think.

User submitted photos of door hardware.
A contractor from Occoquan VA says:
Possibly something with a lever handle considering the weight of the door.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The handle you have now looks like our 40-096 mortise type lock. You could also possibly install the 40-058 or the 40-160. However, keep in mind that these are not a mortise types like the one you have now. The 40-058 and 40-160 have a surface mounted hardware which is installed on the inside faceof your door.

To use either of these lock sets you will need to make sure you have the clearance between the storm door and interior door hardware. You don't want the hardware hitting each other. You might also need to use some wood putty to fill in the holes from the old handle you now have. Maybe also talk to a locksmith in your area to see what they suggest.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)