SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Door issues

A home owner from USA says:
Hello, I need some help with 2 door issues I am having... First is my screen door will not lock and stay locked. You can wiggle it and the door becomes unlocked, I think I need a new handle and lock. Can you tell me what to use.. second is my front door allows alot of air through it, when the wind blows it whistles and you can hear air coming through, can you give me what I need to fix these issues? pics for reference.

User submitted photos of door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Thanks for posting. I'm a little confused. You say you need a new screen door lock, but your pictures all show the locking hardware for a patio glass door. Is that what you need?

If so, then it's possible you just have to adjust the mortise lock. Look at your third picture: do you see the second screw from the top, in the face of the lock? This is an adjustment screw. Try turning that left or right to get the correct setting and see if that fixes the problem. You can also try adjusting the keeper in the jamb. If that all fails, you might want to replace the lock entirely with our 82-218. I believe this is the closest match we have, though you would have to confirm that the dimensions match.

Now, concerning the weatherstripping problem. It appears that the jamb seal was cut too short. You might want to consider replacing it entirely. I recommend looking at our 58-056 (you will need to check its dimensions with yours, like before) to start. You could also try using a corner stick-on foam seal to close up the gaps. Check a local hardware store for that.

As for the bottom sweep, it does not look bad based on your photo. You might have an adjustable threshold to close up the gap at the bottom of the door. If that doesn't work, We carry the 58-176 as a possible replacement.

Let me know what you think!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)