SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Door sweep

A home owner from MA says:
Hi Folks,

The door I have is a "Therma-tru," which I acquired from the Home Depot perhaps a decade ago. It's a 36-inch door (80" tall), & the sweep is 1 3/4" wide. I'm sorry I don't have more information than that, but I hope that the photos are sufficient to help you identify a replacement sweep for this unit. Please let me know if I can provide you with any more details.

The sweep is the main part I'd like to replace, but I suppose that if I'm ordering that, I'd do well to replace the side gaskets as well. Do you need me to provide pictures of those, or is this a model with which you are familiar?

At the same time, I'd like to get a replacement sweep for a 36-inch Stanley door. I ordered one in the past--would you have my order on record? If not, I'll take measurements & provide details for that one as well.

Thanks for your help & please let me know if you need additional information from me!

Best regards,
Sean
User submitted a photo of a door sweep.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hello, Sean. Your door sweep appears to have kerf legs like our 58-189. However it looks like yours was nailed into the bottom of the door. You might have to reattach it with nails if your kerf legs do not have the same placement as on the 58-189. I actually had to use nails to install this on my door at home for this very reason. You could also consider the 58-176, which wraps the bottom of the door and can be held in with a few screws.
A home owner from Worthington MA says:
Thanks, Dave! There are indeed kerfs cut into the bottom of the door, which seems to argue for the unit you've mentioned. If the kerf legs differ slightly, I suppose that some combination of nailing & trimming would do the trick, yes? And do you happen to have the information about my previous order (see my original note)?

If not, I'll post a picture of that sweep as well.

Thanks so very much for your help!

Best regards,
Sean
Profile picture of Dave
Yep, the kerfs on the 58-189 didn't match my door, either, but I was able to cut them and nail it to the bottom of the door regardless. Also, sorry about missing that other bit in your original post! According to our records, you previously purchased our 58-174.
A quick learner says:
Great, thanks Dave! I'll order both & see how we do. I greatly appreciate your helpful advice.

Have a great fall!

Best,
Sean
Profile picture of Dave
You, too! Thank you for the order. Let us know how it works out!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)