SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Double Hung Window Spiral Balances

A quick learner from Manasquan, NJ, 08736 says:
I am a trustee at the Manasquan United Methodist Church in Manasquan, nj. Our building was constructed in 1954. About 15-20 of our windows have broken balances and I would like to replace them. I am cautious about buying the whole lot at first and would like to buy one set and see if they work. If they do work I can then order the remainder with confidence.

The windows are double hung with a sash weight of about 12 lbs. As you can see in the pictures the balance tubes are 24" in length, 5/8 dia., and the bushing is white. The consistant failure seems to be the clip attaching the balance to the sash.

Please give me pricing on one pair, including delivery.

Thank you

Ron
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Ron, thanks for posting. Could I see some pictures of the clip you mentioned? That will help me determine what Series this spiral balance is.
A handy person from Manasquan says:
Attached is a photo of the attachment device at he bottom of the spiral. As you can see, I hope, it is not a clip but is attached with a rivet. Do not make this harder than it is, I need a balance and a clip. I will forward you the other picture showing the length of the balance in the next email.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Great, those pictures are just what we need. I think you may be looking at our S500-24 spiral balance. Take a look and see if you agree.

Now, as for the bracket, I'm not quite sure exactly what you need. Look through the brackets that we show in the Related Item(s) section for the S500-24 and see which one of those you think is the best match. Personally, I think you might want to consider the 17-007, but browse through them just to make sure.

As for the color tip, I recommend red. Two of these balances with a Red Tip can carry a window sash weight range of 7 through 29 pounds. Since your sash is 12 pounds, I think that the Red Tip is a comfortable fit.

Finally, be sure to check out our handy guide on how to install this type of balance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)