SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Double Pane Window

A home owner from Boston says:
I have 3 windows that wont stay open. Once I opened to look inside, I noticed that the silver coil snapped and half was now at the bottom of the window. Can you tell me which one I would order to reinstall these? They are 3/4" wide.

Thanks

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We should be able to help, yes. Could you show me a picture of the pivot shoe to which the spring attaches? The pivot shoe acts as a kind of key; seeing that will let us recommend everything else you may need. If you can, please also tell me if there is a number printed on your coil springs. Thanks!
A quick learner says:
So I ended up dismantling a window off one that isn't broken so you can see all the parts. Hoping one one these pics is the pivot shoe.

Now that it's spring, it's time to get these windows open....without banging shut as soon as they open.

As soon as I hear back from you I'll order all the pieces for a few broken windows.

Thanks
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
This looks like the older version of the 15-155 pivot shoe. I believe you can still use the newer style with the metal center cam. Your tilt bar should fit in fine.
A quick learner says:
So I need to buy the metal coil because it snapped in half as the tenants didn't lift the window up before pulling it forward and the pivot shoe, correct. If so its the 15-155?? Just want to make sure before ordering because I need to fix 3-4 windows.
A quick learner from Boston MA says:
So when I originally posted on September I was trying to figure out which coil spring to purchase. I was asked what the pivot shoe looked like. Can you please advise which coil spring and pivot shoes should be purchased off the pictures provided.

Corinnne
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sure, the 15-155 pivot shoe is commonly used with the Series 170 and Series 171 coil springs. Based on your pictures, I think our S170-335 could be what you want.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)