SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Double track for refrigerator door

A quick learner from Pelham. NY says:
We have 2 sets of double sliding glass doors on our flower refrigerator. It is a custom-built (around 40 years ago) display box with a set of 2 - 48"X 72" glass doors on either side of a support post. There is a double slider on the the floor that is pretty worn down and needs replacing. I know that the slider and frame were replaced once (approx 15-20 years ago) by the previous owner and all he remembers that the company was in NJ. I would prefer to replace the entire slider but if this is nor possible - would track covers work? I'm assuming that in either case it would be a good idea to replace the wheels, too? I believe they have single wheels. Thanks for your help...looking forward to your response.

Lidia
User submitted photo of their refridgerator door track.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Good Afternoon,

When you say you want to replace the "entire slider" do you mean the track or the actual door?

We have both replacement tracks and track covers, but the tracks look ok in your picture. Are your tracks damaged?

Replacing the rollers is a good idea. A lot of the time a broken roller is the cause of damage to the track. Remove one of the rollers and submit a picture for us to review.
A quick learner from Pelham says:
Thanks, Mike, for your quick response. Without thinking I took a picture of a portion of undamaged track! The portion of track under the door that is most used is almost flat. I believe that part of the problem is that my refrigerator has a 6 inch step up - so if we are carrying heavy buckets in and out - we are probably stepping on the track. The previous owner tells me that I need to find a double track "threshold" do they exist? Could I remove the damaged "threshold" and replace it with 2 of your 8 ft tracks? Or could I get away with 2 track covers for each set of doors? The doors are very heavy so I'd like to do it only "once". Thanks again...
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I believe your best bet would be to use the 80-105 replacement track. I do not think the small track covers would be strong enough and the heavy duty track covers may be too tall unless you have the clearance at the top to reinstall the doors once the large track cover is in place.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)