SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Replacement Sash Balance

A handy person from Syracuse, Utah says:
These balances are 26.750"L x 0.500"W. They are from a vinyl single-hung window. There are 17 windows total: 3 have a lower pane weight of 10.6#; 14 have a lower pane weight of 16.4#. I was unable to find a manufacturing stamp anywhere on the windows. I have more picture if you need them.

Kind Regards,
Eric
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Eric. It looks like the balance you have has a "26 4" stamp, which is meant for sashes weighing 18 through 25 pounds. That does not match the weights you gave. Do you have other balances with different numbers in the other windows? If so, you might want to check to make sure that the nylon attachments and metal clip at the end of the cord are identical, as well. These balances have to be custom made, so we definitely want to confirm that each of the 17 are correct.
A handy person from Syracuse, UT says:
The balances on the smaller are installed in the same manner. There is a different stamp. Pictures attached
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for clarifying. I'm still a little confused, though. I'm not sure which stamp goes on which window, and besides that neither of your stamps match the sash weights you gave me. Based on what I see here, your balances are far too strong for both sash weights.

Could you double check the sash weight of each window and tell me exactly how many of each balance you need for each sash? Could you also tell me if the old balances felt like they didn't perform well?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)