SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Exterior Door Lock Wanted

A home owner from Kentucky says:
Above is my current glass door hardware. I want to be able to lock my doors from the outside with a key. The screw holes are 3 and 15/16, the thumb latch is centered, the latch plate is 3 and 3/16, the latch plate screws are 3 & 5/8. Looking for any item that will allow me to key lock this door from the outside.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at 82-310. That should fit your outside pull handle. Looking at your photo, I can see the "knock out" plug. Take care in removing that, however, as you could damage the handle. You might want to slowly tap it out with a hammer and punch. Then, file off the rough edges. You could also use a drill with the proper size drill bit.
A quick learner says:
So this item would work with the existing handles? I had assumed that I would need a new handle set. Thanks for the reply.
A professional from California says:
Filing is an option, but a drill gets the job done. Fast and accurate.
Make sure you have a 5/8" drill bit.
Make sure the key lock moves freely. File as needed.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I think it should, yes. It just takes a little handy work. If you do think you need to replace the handle set, look at our 82-069 and see if its specs match up to your own hardware. You would also need to purchase the 82-310 along with it if you want a keyed exterior, though.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)