Exterior Keyed Lock for an Anderson sliding door

A home owner from USA says:
I am searching for a heavy duty, secure, exterior, keyed lock for an Anderson sliding door. This door would serve as an entry point for a dog walker to access our home to care for our dogs while we are out of town. Please see attached pictures. Any help you could provide is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jennifer
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Jennifer. I believe the key lock you need is the Andersen 82-317. This is considered right handed from the outside of the house looking in. These key locks are manufactured for Andersen doors and are of good quality. They also come with directions, but you still might want a locksmith to install it.
A quick learner from Maryland says:
Thank you. If I'm outside looking in, the door slides to the left so I believe I'll need the LH instead. What kind of material is the lock? The lock would be installed in the frame, above the handle; correct? Is there an additional measure of protection that I could take beyond the keyed lock? Thanks again.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Andersen calls it a right hand door because from the outside of the house, you would grab the door handle with your right hand. Every company defines "right" and "left" differently, though. It can be confusing. The key lock is installed above the handle on the outside matching up to the inside thumb turn (82-043).
A quick learner from Maryland says:
Are there instructions with a template for drilling? When I stand outside I grab the door handle with my left hand and the door slides to the left. Do I need LH or RH? Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the 82-317 and 82-316 come with directions. Based on what you've described, you have a left hand door.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.