SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Extruded aluminum screen door 20 - 25 years old

A home owner from Anaheim, California says:
Hi. Hoping someone can help me find a lock / latch assy. for my screen door. I don't have a make or model but something tells me it came from Sears 20 or 25 years ago. The door is in great shape but the lock / latch failed some time ago and in the mean time, I've lost some of the inner workings.

Anyways, a new lock / latch is what I want. I hope the pictures will help.

The door is about 7/8" thick and there are 6 3/4" between the mounting screw holes. The old lock did not have a deadbolt...only the regular locking latch. I can use anything that will fit as long as it is keyed on both sides. The door is "pewter" or "gun metal grey" in color so something similar will work.Please let me know if you have anything that will work. Thank you.
User submitted photos of door hardware.
User submitted photos of door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Have you seen our 40-186? This appears similar to your own set. Take a look and see if you agree.
It looks similar but this one has a deadbolt. You guys are the experts so if the dimensions look like they will work and everything will line up, that's what I'm looking for. Do you need any other measurements or pictures to be sure??
Profile picture of Dave
Well, I can't quite make out the exact dimensions of your lock based on these images. You said that your hole spacing is 6-3/4", while our 40-186 has a hole spacing of 6-5/8". Can you double check your measurement? Did you measure from hole-center to hole-center?

As for the deadbolt, I'm afraid we cannot have our locks keyed on both inside and outside, as it presents a serious fire hazard.
The measurement from the center of the top mounting hole to the center of the bottom hole is 6 3/4. Do you have anything with that spacing and if not, any ideas how to adapt the unit you have (6 5/8). That sounds a little to close to try and drill another hole since the hole itself will be 1/8. Any idea will be worth looking at since I would really like to keep the door. Let me know if you can. Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave
Unfortunately, we don't have any other handle that is any better match. I know it's a little close to redrill, but I can't think of another way. I'm also not sure if it will even work, but it's the closest we have. I'm sorry we can't offer anything better, but I'm not sure if your handle is even made any more.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)