Finger Grinder

A home owner from Murrieta, CA says:
Hello
I just purchased a home with 15 casement windows which are opened & closed daily. The hole in the existing handle appears to be 3/8 inch. As you can see, the small area makes this a long process & usually leaves my blood behind. Also, my fingers aren't strong enough to open the window entirely.

I would prefer to remove all the existing cranks & just slip a long T handle crank around the spindle each time & then remove it to go to the next window. Is your Product Code: 39-357 the answer? Better would be a solid unit, 3-4 inches long. A T handle would be best, but if that's not available, a folding crank handle (on some windows it would hit the shutter so it couldn't turn 360) might work.

I would get a few to make the shipping expense worthwhile.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Can you confirm the size of the hole, or "spline?" I believe it should be 11/32", not 3/8".

Start by looking at our 39-205, which is our most common 11/32" folding crank handle. We also c arry the 39-157 4" long 11/32" spline extension. They don't make a solid T handle/extension combo. You could possibly use our 39-102 T handle, if you cannot reuse any of your old ones.
A home owner says:
Thanks for the reply.
Per info you have listed I looked under a control arm. Underneath it's engraved with a house, & "TRUTH". Does that give you the probable size?

I could reuse any of the existing 15 handles to turn an extension, but they're only 2-1/8" across. I would prefer something wider to get a better grip.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Truth brand casement operator handles usually have a spline size of 11/32", but I recommend measuring yours just to confirm that this is the case.
A home owner says:
I've confirmed it's 11/32, so it seems that for my purpose is useing #39-157 with a T handle.

1. Do you have a T that is wider then 2-1/8" & fits that extension.

2. Since I'll be moving this tool 15 times, is there a easier way then having to tighten & loosen the tiny set screw as I move between windows?

btw...your site makes it easy to ask questions & post pics. I'll be using you folks often.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! Our 39-102 T Handle is 2-7/16" wide, but it has a locking clip, no set screw. The 39-102 and 39-157 are compatible.
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.