SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Front Door Seal

A home owner from Ithaca, NY says:
I would like to replace the seal around my front door. It is a wood frame, not metal. Please see attached pictures. What do you recommend?
User submitted photos of weather seal.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You say you have a wood frame. However, is the door itself wood covered with steel? In either event, take a look at our 58-008 prime door seal set for steel doors. Also take a look at our 58-056 foam seal. As for that bottom door seal, look at the 58-189 push-in type or the 58-176 wrap around type. Take a look and see which one could match up to yours.
A home owner says:
I checked with a magnet, and only the front and back door panels (the main panels facing indoors and outdoors) are magnetic. The sides are not. Looks like 58-008 will magnetically attach only to the sides of the door, correct? What if they are not metal? Will the seal still work?

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
If the magnetic seal would only partially work, or not at all, consider our 58-056 instead. To be honest, I've had many contractors report that normal foam seal holds up better than magnetic seal. This is because the magnets themselves lose their magnetism faster than the foam material wears out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)