SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Full handle set and lock replacement?

A home owner from Seattle says:
Our double hook mortise lock no longer works. The hooks no longer engage when the latch lever is flipped. Any idea which parts need to be replaced, or would it be best to replace everything (lock and handle set)?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You might just need to replace your inside mortise latch. If that's the only thing that's broken, I see no reason why you can't reuse the same handle set. Please send us a photo of your lock and handle set so that we can recommend possible replacement hardware.
A home owner from Shoreline, WA says:
Here are some images of the latch and handles. I'm not certain what is broken, as I haven't taken apart the latch. But it feels like the connection between the latch lever and mortise apparatus is stripped. Thank you for your advise!

-Joel
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the additional information. Honestly, it's impossible to say what the problem is. One way to find out is to remove the handle from the door and try activating the mortise lock with something like a flat-head screwdriver. If it still doesn't work, then you know the mortise lock is the problem. If it works fine, then it may be a problem with the thumb lever on the handle.

The handle set itself looks like our 82-068. Fortunately, we sell the thumb lever separately for this. See our 82-240. It would be great if that's all the problem is.

I'm not quite sure what the mortise lock is based on these pictures. It's possible you have the 82-238, but you'll have to remove your existing mortise from the door and compare its specs to our own to ensure that they match. When you remove it, please be careful not to let it drop in the door!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)