SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

GAPCO windows

A quick learner from Lake in the Hills IL says:
Almost all of the vinyl glazing bead in my ancient (>20yr old) windows is cracking. It's almost impossible to get any out without breaking the face edge, and then there isn't enough left to pull the rest of it out. I have two questions.
1. How can I remove this old bead? Heat gun and patience?
2. Can I identify what type it is before I have to pull the entire window apart to get a big enough piece to recognize?

Thanks,
Paul
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! These are good questions. Age and ultra violet rays are the main reason why this kind of vinyl bead cracks and crumbles. Like you said, a heat gun and a lot of patience are the best way to go about it.

Unfortunately, the only way we can identify what you have is if we see a profile of your glazing. Before you remove all the bad vinyl, try to recover a small piece and take a picture of a cross section so that we can identify it for you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)