SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Gap in Kawneer Double Door

A quick learner from Catawissa Pennsylvania says:
My gap between the double door measures 3/8 which I'm going to try and close up by shimming the hinges, but what is the max size gap these will seal?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You could probably install the 58-085 with a little bit of the base exposed to make up the 3/8" gap you describe. What I have done in some cases was to pack out the hinges with a type of shim. I have even used "shirt cardboard" in a pinch. If you want, you can send us some photos of your doors for us to take a look at and give you some recommendations.
A quick learner from Catawissa Pennsylvania says:
I actually use hard plastic hinge shims ( you should invest in them) However as a typical door does these are open at the bottom requiring shimming on the bottom 2 hinges, The problem is the reveal on the top Might not allow full adjustment as it may rub on the head jamb. Thank you though and thanks for the insight on weatherstrip adjustment what is the max it can stick out?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I would suggest shimming out the door hinges equally so that the door won't rub at the top jamb. Take note that most commercial doors have an adjustable setting block screw at the top of the door. If the door does rub at the top, you would turn the screw counter clockwise and pull down on the door handle side a little to get it away from the header. I believe either weather stripping normally stick out 1/4" max. You might be able to cheat a little and get another 1/8" out exposing some of the metal base. You might want to order the genuine Kawneer weather stripping, 58-111, along with the special mounting screws 33-108.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)