SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Gapco window balances

A handy person from Indiana says:
I work for a Handyman franchise and was called out to look at a window that was hard to open for a tenant.

The window says gapco on the lock. I took out the window and found that the spring had broken loose from the rest of the guide. I took some pictures while at the house and measured the guide. It is 1/2 inch wide and 27 inches long. I didn't see any marks on the guide but didn't really look that close. I put the window back in place until I can find parts.

I would like to replace both sides while I have it out.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! The part you're looking for is known as a window balance. I've narrowed this down to two possible channel balance Series: either our Series 380 or our Series 385.

Now, as you can see, the only difference between these two Series is their bottom shoe. The Series 380 uses the 15-005 while the Series 385 uses the 15-004. I can't quite tell what you have based on your pictures, though. Please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
15-004 and 15-005
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)