General Aluminum Single Hung Counter Balance Replacement

A handy person from Fort Worth, TX says:
I have narrowed down the issue with several of my windows to the spiral counter balances being rusted, broken or otherwise no longer functioning. However, on these builder grade windows, I cannot figure out how to "unhook" or "unwind" the balance in order to free it from the bottom of the sash. I have included a couple of pictures to (hopefully) help in identifying the issue.
Thank you,
David
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm having a hard time determining how to remove your balance based on these images. Since the sash doesn't work, I recommend that you unscrew the top balance screw and then simply let balance drop out from the bottom of the sash. Then take another photo and let me see.
A handy person from Fort Worth says:
Hey Paul,
I did exactly that and I still couldn't get the silly thing out. But after nearly using a crowbar and sledge hammer I figured out that the bracket at the bottom of the frame was bent and covering the bottom of the balance.
I got the old balance out finally and bent the bracket back into shape. The planets have aligned and all is right with the world. Well...... Until the next window!
Thanks again for your help!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
That's fantastic! I'm glad to hear everything is in working order. If you need any help in the future, please let me know. I would be happy to assist you as best as I can.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.