SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Glass Sliding door parts ?

A home owner from USA says:
Hello,
I am looking for parts and advise on replacing my glass sliding door rollers . Do you have replacement parts for this door, I have attached the AAMA label. After raising the rollers there is still not enough room to remove the sliding door. It looks like I need to either remove the trim on the inside of the house above the door or remove the stationary section of the door and lift the sliding door to the outside of the house

However it does not look like I would have enough room to remove the stationary section either. I have not tried this but looks unlikely to work based on the jump height. I have attached photos and welcome your advice.
User submitted image of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It's hard to tell what you have without seeing the roller itself. I think your patio door was made at the turn of the century by MI Home Products. This company used either the 81-078 flat patio door roller assembly or the 81-086 concave roller assembly. Your track rail seems to be rounded, so the 81-086 might be best. Still, this is just an educated guess. The only way to confirm is to see it out of the door.

From your photos, it seems the installer either installed the door frame too tight or the header has sunk down. You have very little play above the doors to raise and swing the stationary and sliding doors to the outside. Service people sometimes uses a jack and 2x4 to raise the master frame to allow the doors to swing out or take the door apart on the track and remove it. You might want the help of a professional.
A handy person from Severn says:
I cannot be sure of the roller size till I have the sliding glass door removed , you indicated you thought it the roller was 81-078 or 81-086. I believe i need 4 rollers for the door, 2 for the top and 2 for the bottom. My question is if I purchase 4 rollers of each part number can I return and get a refund of the rollers not used?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
These doors only use two rollers at the bottom. There shouldn't be any on top.

You can return any hardware you purchase. See our return policy for more information.
A professional from California says:
I have only seen this door once. It was one of the heaviest doors I have ever lifted. The roller is laughably small(81-086). It should have large tandem wheels, but nothing else fits, the space is too small. The track is a horrible design. I never figured out why it has that weird shaped rail. I never got a call back, but I can't imagine these lasting very long. You will probably have to remove the hex screw from all 4 corners and remove the 2 sides and top rail. I would recommend finding a professional. Two big guys with glass suction cups and experience.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)