Handle/ latch for out swinging Pella screen door

A home owner from Redlands, CA says:
Hello,

We have a Pella out swinging screen door that was purchased and installed in the 80's. The handle/latch mechanism broke and we have been unable to find something that will work. Will this work on our door?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Are you referring to our 40-034? If so, I can't confirm if it will work for you. I actually don't know what you have. Can you show me a picture of the handle set in question? That will help us find a good match.
A quick learner from Redlands, CA says:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I was referring to the 40-034 handle set. The inside latch part of our Pella screen door broke and we have not been able to find anything that works. My husband bought a handle set at Lowes but it doesn't work. Although Lowe's carries Pella products the employees there were unable to help us - they suggested that we buy a new door.

I have attached photos of what we currently have installed on the door. The black latch on the inside is the part that broke
User submitted photos of storm door hardware.
A home owner from Redlands says:
I found the original invoice from 1985 that lists the door as part number A-18TFD. The door is glass and came with a hinged screen door.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The most important thing to check is the spacing between the mounting holes, center to center, to make sure they are the same 1-3/4" from top hole to bottom hole in the push button part of the handle. You might also just need to replace the inside handle with something like our 40-052, which is also 1-3/4" on center.
A quick learner from Redlands, CA says:
Thanks guys! The hardware arrived today and it works! The folks at Pella were telling us that we had to purchase a new door.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Awesome, glad to hear it. In my experience, it's very rare that you have to replace the whole door. There's almost always something you can do. Thanks again for your business and let me know if you ever need anything else.
How to Install a Storm Door Handle Set [1080p]
How to Install a Storm Door Handle Set [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.