SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Handle lock to go with 40-183

A quick learner from Lancaster, PA says:
I am looking for a storm door handle with lock and came across your "Complete Mortise Lockset Product Code: 40-183". What door thickness will this lockset accommodate? The wood storm door that it is intended for is 1 3/8" in thickness. Also what is the backset for this set? Finally, what type of finish is the black option?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I don't know if you would want to use the 40-183. You would have to route out the edge of the storm door for the inside mortise part of the lock. That could weaken the door rail. Take a look at the 40-096 knob lock; this is used by quite a few wood screen door manufactures. Also take a look at the 40-160 lock. It looks similiar to the 40-183, but all you needs to do to install it is to drill 6 holes and route out the edge of the door.
A home owner from Lancaster, PA says:
I appreciate your cautionary remarks concerning 40-183. However, neither 40-096 or 40-160, nor any other that you offer, suit my purpose. Therefore, I'd like to return to my original question concerning 40-183, "What door thickness(es) will the 40-183 accommodate?" The alternative handles you suggested both indicate very clearly what door thicknesses they're suited for. So it strikes me as peculiar that that information is omitted for 40-183.

I built my door, and I feel confident that I can route the door edge satisfactorily if I can only learn what door thicknesses the lockset is designed to accommodate. Perhaps I should also ask, given your concern, what width of mortise is required for the lock mechanism? I would suggest that this information be added to the description on the website.

Also I am still curious for the 'black' option what type of paint finish it is?

Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I believe this set can be used for a 1 3/8" thick door. The handle can be adjusted and secured with a set screw. The mortise lock that comes with it is approximately 13/16" wide. As for the paint, it's more like a satin semi-gloss black finish.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)