SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Having trouble fitting FlexScreen into the window corners

A home owner from Cheltenham, PA says:
I just received my new FlexScreen for my window. I am having trouble fitting it into the window track. There seems to be something in the track in the upper corners of the window. What do I do? Please help!
User's photo of their double hung window.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Sometimes the vinyl window weld (where the two pieces of vinyl meet in the corner of the window) is not cleaned completely by the window manufacturer. The extra material stuck in your screen track corner is called weld flashing. The weld flashing can cause interference making FlexScreen fit too tightly or not fit at all. The weld flashing can be removed by carefully cutting it awsay with a utility knife, or a file tool, or snips. I believe using snips is the easiest and safest way to remove the flash welding. Here are some photos I took removing weld flashing from a vinyl window.
Cutting the flashing from the window weld, so that the FlexScreen will fit better into the window track.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)