SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Heavily rusted pivot bar

A quick learner from Florida says:
My pivot bars are so rusted that some are actually gone while others are so rusted that I can't effectively measure the width and heights. But the big problem is how to get the screw out that holds the bar in place. It appears that drilling is the only option. Do you supply new screws with your bars?

Assuming #26-315 bar.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I would like to see a photo of the rusted pivot bar in the sash, as well as the pivot shoe is fits into. I think that will still help us find a replacement. I would also like the best dimensions you can give for the pivot bar.

As for removing a rusted pivot bar, start by spraying heavily with WD-40 and let it soak for a few hours. Then try to loosen the set screw. When you loosen the set screw, get a heat gun or hair dryer and heat up the area slightly, just enough to pull out the rusted pivot bar. Be careful not to over heat or you will damage the vinyl.
A quick learner from Florida says:
Attached are 2 pictures of my problem of rusted pivot pins along with your 26-040. Finding the right parts is the easy part, getting the set screw out and then the bar out of the frame is the hard part. I even dismantled the lower window frame in order to get a better grip on the bars, but the setscrew goes thru 2 layers of metal with the bar sandwiched between. I burned 2 titanium drill bits on the set screw so I'm out of ideas now. I also soaked the bar and screw with WD40 and again with PB Blaster. There is no name on the windows.
Thanks
User submitted photos of a pivot bar.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Boy, this sounds like one stubborn pivot bar. Try heating the area with a blow dryer and see if that could loosen it up. I don't like suggesting it, as there's a risk you warp the sash, but it may be your only hope.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)