SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Help Identifying Balances

A handy person from Torrance, CA says:
Hi, I am needing new window balance springs, but the parts are so close that I cannot figure out which are the right ones. Can you help? They all look similar, but different to what I have.

Rick
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Rick. This looks like our Series 390 channel balance. Check it out and let me know what you think.
A handy person from Torrance, CA says:
Thanks, Paul. One follow-up question. When I go to add them to my cart, it asks for a second option. I don't know what to choose. There is no number on my current one anywhere (same as the picture)

I do have different window that I am ordering for, but it's a different balance spring. That one has 2714 on it. The options are 2710 or 2720. What would I choose for that one?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
If there is no number printed on your current balance, you will need to weigh your sash on a scale and refer to the chart we show to determine the best choice.
A handy person says:
Thanks Tom. For the one that I have with the number in between the numbers you have, do I round up, or down? That was the second part of my question above.

"I do have different window that I am ordering for, but it's a different balance spring. That one has 2714 on it. The options are 2710 or 2720. What would I choose for that one?"
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I don't know which to choose. 2714 is a very weird kind of stamp, actually. It's not really a matter of rounding up and down; balance stamps don't really work like that, unfortunately. You will need to weigh your sash on a scale to determine the best choice.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)