SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Help broken latch - #82-068 Question

A home owner from USA says:
Good morning we have one of your product installed on our sliding door. Unfortunately the latch or lock is broken in the locked position preventing us access to our patio. Your product is nonconventional the conventional handle allows easy access to two screws that mount the latch to the door. Your screws are installed but the doors open unfortunately ours is in the lock position not allowing access to the mounting screws, tex or torx.

First question is what type of hardware is used are these rather large Phillips or they appear to be some type of Hext or torx. Is there a specialty tool that is required to remove these and if so do you sublet it appears the easiest two would be a L-shaped Allen unfortunately your head is not an Allen.

Any help you can provide will be useful thank you. Roby
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, Roby. I hope I can help you.

The 82-068 handle normally just uses phillips screws. The inside pull will normally have two of these screws on the side of the base of the lock. If you remove them, and then remove the pull handle, you should be able to access the two screws that hold the inside base of the handle to the outside.

Try that out and let me know how it goes. If you're still having issues, take a few pictures of the handle and lock set so we can determine a better solution.
A professional from CA says:
If the hook that is stuck is the down facing one, you may be able to lift the door over the strike.
Make sure that the door is in the unlocked position. This will usually still control one of the two hooks. If both hooks are locked it will never open. If this doesn't work, you may want to find a professional. make sure that you tell them that it is a Milgard or CertainTeed door with the double hooks that face outward. If they don't know what that means, they probably won't be able to help you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)