SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Help finding Top Ballast Sash

A handy person from USA says:
I need to replace the top balance sashes and balances in a number of windows that are all the same. The windows are not stamped by manufacturer. They are aluminum "commercial" windows in condo. The ballast is 31" long x.75" wide. The top guide is 1' x 1' x 2.25" long (part that extends down into window.)

One of the ballasts has a stamp and I've enclosed a picture of that one.

Also, I have attached pictures of the ballast and guide and the window.

I'll need a number of these. Could you let me know what are the correct part numbers? (By the way, apparently our entire condo building needs new ones, so if this works out I'll tell the condo board!)

Thanks,

Kurt
User submitted photos of a window balance.
29-5 CA2 CMC 4
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Kurt! Before I can offer an applicable replacement for this channel balance, I just need to know a bit more information about the bottom attachment. Please take a look at our 15-004 and 15-005 channel balance shoes, and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-3/32" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely matches your own bottom attachment?
A handy person from Atlanta, GA says:
Hi Tom,
I've included some measurements below. I can tell we'll need the parts that go into the window as well - the plastic parts that catch the channel balance. I attached pictures of those.
Thanks,
Kurt
User submitted picture of top sash guide.
H-641
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, after extensive research, we have not been able to find a replacement for this top sash guide. I am sorry that we cannot be of more help.
A quick learner says:
Tom, is it just the top sash guide that you don't have? How about the ballast? (Remember I sent one of those also.) Also, is it possible that there is a work around for the top sash guide that is not a perfect match but is adequate?
Profile picture of Tom
Of course, I'm sorry. For the balance, we've determined that the Series 385 is the closest match we have. Just take a look at it and see if you agree.

We weren't able to find anything close to your top sash guide. Because of the peculiar four-hole style, I don't think anything we have could work as a substitute. The only other thing I can think of is to contact the manufacturer and see if they could help.
A quick learner says:
HI Tom, you've been a lot of help and I appreciate it.

I don't know who the manufacturer is. The windows are not identified and the contractor is out of business.

The sashes are aluminum and the sash guides are held in place by only 2 small sheet metal screws (although there are 4 holes). Do you have a sash guide of the same dimensions as my old one so that it would fit into the channels? Then I could drill holes either in the sash guide or the sash to make the new sash guides work.

Thanks much!

Kurt
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmmm... if you're willing to play around with the top sash guide in the sash, then it may be worth considering our 18-097 or maybe our 18-094. These would be where I'd start, though I can't be certain if they'd work. What do you think?
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, just to let you know, we are working on a top sash guide that may be a better match than the two we just suggested. We don't have anything yet, but we will post here again as soon as we have something available for you to look at!
A quick learner says:
Thanks so much! You guys are great.
Profile picture of Tom
No problem! Now, take a look at our new 18-040 top sash guide. It's still not exact, but we think it's the closest possible match we can provide. Let me know what you think.
A landlord from Milwaukee, WI says:
Hi Kurt,

Did you ever find the plastic top sash guides that you were looking for. I also have a condo and I am looking for the exact same parts. I also do not know the manufacturer. Let me know if you obtained any information since your posting.

Thanks,

Rick
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)