SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Help finding new channel balance?

A home owner from USA says:
Hi, I need to identify the channel balances from the attached photos. The length is 26 7/8 inches.Please let me know the item number and price. I need two.

Thanks
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. I've narrowed this down to two possible channel balance Series: either our Series 351 or our Series 390.

Now, as you can see, the only difference between these two Series is their bottom shoe. The Series 351 uses the 15-002 while the Series 390 uses the 15-001. I can't quite tell what you have based on your pictures, though. Please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
Comparison of <a href='http://www.swisco.com/Channel-Balance-Shoe/pd/Replacement-Sash-Support-Channel-Balance-Shoes/15-001'>15-001</a> & 15-002
A home owner says:
Other than the 1/8 inch difference, is there any other way to determine which one I have? 1/8 inch leaves very small margin for error in measuring, so it could be either.

Also, if I decide I want to purchase from you, how can I do that? whenever I call the office to talk to someone I just get voicemail.

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
I'm afraid there's no other way to determine what shoe you have. That 1/8" is the only difference. Just measure as carefully as you can.

All orders can be placed directly on our site.
A home owner says:
thanks, it's the 1 1/8" one. When trying to purchase on your site it asks for the sash weight, are you able to determine which one I should purchase from the stamp in the pic I provided?

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
A stamp of 26 5 typically corresponds to our 2650 option, but it's always a good idea to weigh your sash just in case.
A home owner says:
Got it, thanks

I weighed the sash and it came out to 20lbs. The 2650 is for 26-30 pounds and the 2640 is 19 to 26. I see the warnings about the jamb causing friction etc, so which do you recommend and given the 26 is in there already, should I just get that to be safe?

Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If your sash is 20 pounds, then the 2640 would be the best choice. It's possible that the original installers over-estimated when they installed the balances you have now.
A home owner says:
Hi, I received these parts and attempted the install today, however, ran into two complications:

1. First, the metal clip that one pulls out to engage the balances broke. See attached photo for what it looks like. Can you suggest a replacement part and instructions to replace it?

2. Second, the plastic piece at the top of the sash (it is screwed into the sash in the channel) is broken. This prevents the channel balance from butting up against the sash. As a result, when the sash is closed, the balance just stays put. See photos. I've included photos of both sides so you can see what a functioning part looks like in the sash. Can you please suggest a replacement part for this item. The depth of the sash's channel is 5/8".

Thanks
User submitted photos of a top sash guide.
Profile picture of Tom
Sorry to hear you're having trouble! For the metal clip, I recommend our 16-002, and for the top sash guide I recommend our 18-171.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)