SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Help finding the original latch that came with the door hand

A quick learner from Merrick, NY says:
I needed to rekey my 10 year old American Craftsman door, and in doing so dropped the original latch inside the door, never to be seen again. After 2 new latches, and 2 rekeys, and several professionals, and a replacement door handle, I have found that the replacement latch from Home Depot does not allow you to take out the key unless the series of locks and unlocks and extra turns is done properly. It is beyond ridiculous ! Can I purchase the ORIGINAL latch that came with this door handle ? That never gave me a stitch of trouble ? I am ready to have the door removed and a whole cut in the bottom to retrieve the old latch. HELP !
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
You're right, it shouldn't be as hard as all that. I think we can help out, for sure. When it comes to locks falling in doors, the biggest culprit is our 82-218. It's such an issue that we even made a video to address the best way of replacing it:
Now I'm not sure this is what you had originally, it's just an educated guess. The best way to figure it out without ripping your door apart is to look at the holes where it installs in your door. Make sure the face of the 82-218 and screw hole spacing matches the empty space in your door. If so, I think the 82-218 is a pretty good bet.
Profile view of 82-218
I can't comment on the problem you're having with the key. I've personally never had that issue with the 82-218, so you may be fine, but that's only assuming the mortise lock is the issue here. If the problem persists, then something else may be wrong. Perhaps the spindle on the key cylinder was cut improperly, or maybe it's simply not the right key cylinder to begin with. I can't be sure without more information.
No the problem is definitely the replacement latch, as the problem happened with the original handle, and again with the new handle I just purchased from you, so that narrowed it down to the latch. The only issue I had with the new handles I purchased was that the spindle was too short, so I just used the one from the original lock. Looks like I will be ordering the 82-218 today and keep my fingers crossed. Thank YOU

Ok, so I am just wondering... when I look at the picture above that is EXACTLY what mine looked like but when I look at the other pics, it has this whole frame around it that is not in this photo. What am I missing here ? Also what is the difference between round face and square face ? 45 degree and 90 degree? Would any of these be the problem that I am having with getting the key out without microprocision standing on my head and praying it comes back out ?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure what you mean when you mention an entire frame surrounding this mortise lock. Are you referring to this picture?
Oposite side view 82-218
If so, that's just the rest of the lock that goes inside of the door. It is obscured once installed.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)