SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Help identifying casement window hardware

A quick learner from Calgary, Canada says:
Hello!

One of the casement window operators in our condo unit seems to be broken (the crank turns but the window does not open) and so I'm looking for replacement hardware.

Photo #1: On the left and right side of the window, there are these latches that must be pulled out before the window can be opened.

Photo #2: This is the main crank which is located at the bottom center of the window.

Photo #3: This is the underside of the crank handle after it has been removed. The numbers read "26 45054".

Photo #4: This is the underside of the casement operator cover. The text says "Patent Pending" and the number is "2007". There is also a circular symbol with the number "07" in the center. In addition, there is a metal piece with a whole in the center that fits an Allen key which holds the cover in place; I can't figure out how to get this off, though. Any ideas?

Photo #5: A better look at the metal piece with the Allen key hole.

Thank you so much for your help!
User submitted photos of a window operator.
As an update, I managed to get the metal piece on the underside of the cover off. However, I still can't remove the cover itself... seems to be stuck on somehow. Any suggestions?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
That particular type of casement operator does not have a removable cover. The operator itself is held to the window by two screws installed from the back side of the operator. You should be able to access the mounting screws by opening the window and removing the screen. I can't make out exactly what operator you need from your photos, though. I will need to see the gear arm and the link arm along with their dimensions. It could be our 39-089, or maybe 39-187. Take a look and match up the sizes to your own hardware to be sure.
Thank you for the response! I was able to remove the operator based on your guidance. The operator actually looks more like 39-139.

In any case, it turns out the reason my window was no longer working was because the part that slides on the track and connects the window to the operator arm is broken (see attached photos).

Do you have a replacement part for this available? And if so, how do you get the nub at the end of the 39-139 operator arm through the hole in the "slider"?
User submitted photos of a hinge.
After a second look, I do believe I need a new operator as well as a new "slider".

I checked the measurements of my operator and the 39-139 does look right. The only difference is that 39-139 is front mounted whereas the one I have is rear mounted. Do you have one available that is rear mounted?
Profile picture of Dave
I believe that shoe is the 39-311. As for the operator, you would need to use the 39-139 and replace the end metal bearing with the 39-311 shoe and rivet. The mounting holes in the operator can still work, but you will need to press in the 33-205 threaded riv-nut into the holes in the operator, converting it to the style you need. I have done it in the past using a bench vise. The 33-205 takes a 10-24 machine screw which should be the same screws you are now using. If not try a local hardware store in your area to get the correct screw and size.
Thank you! How difficult is it to replace the end metal bearing in the 39-139 with the 39-311 shoe and rivet? I have limited tools available and so I just want to make sure it's something I can do first.
Profile picture of Dave
I have done it in the past by using a drill or a bench grinder to remove the metal bearing at the end of the arm. To attach the the 39-311 shoe, I used a hammer and a piece of steel to lay the rivet on. Then with some force, I tapped the rivet in place. You might want to use a center punch to direct the force of the hammer onto the rivet.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)