SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Help identifying spiral balance for Champion Window

A quick learner from Lake Jackson TX says:
I've got Champion windows in my house that use a spiral balance and would like to replace them. The Champion Window are a non-tilt type originally made by Champion located in Houston TX. I'm having trouble determining which type I need.

The length is 29" (metal to metal length) with a 2.5" exposed section (end of tube to end of spiral). The tube is 3/8" in diameter.

The attached photos show spiral overextended slightly. The tip color appears to be white and the balance shoe holes look to have a 1/4" spacing (center to center).

Please let me know what part I need and approximate shipping time. Thanks for your help.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I think we can help you with this balance, however can you first tell me what the weight of the window sash is? That will help us find the best replacement for you. Thanks!
A quick learner says:
I placed my bathroom scale under the window and it weighed 25 lbs.
Profile picture of Tom
Great! That should be everything. Take a look at this Spiral Balance Request Form that I've created for you based on your specifications and fill out the rest of the information. One of our representatives will get int ouch with you shortly thereafter with a price quote.
A home owner from Lake Jackson says:
We live in Lake Jackson as well and have several windows in our home that we cannot keep raised unless they are proper open...they won't stay up.

Am guessing it is a spiral balance rod issue as well. They are Champion brand, house built in 1999. Could this possibly be the same rod? It looks like the picture above except only the spiral part of the rod is showing on both sides of the bottom window...maybe the solid rod part is in upper part of window?

I have called Champion and they are not too excited to come "repair" windows. The warranty is out on the windows and they are more interested in replacing what we have. We just want to repair them...I was surprised to see this post above from someone in Lake Jackson and I am guessing we have the same windows... Thought replying to thread was worth a shot! :-)
Profile picture of Tom
Good morning! I think we may be able to help, yes. Assuming you do have the same spiral balances as the customer above, you may only need to charge them, rather than replacing the balances entirely. This would give the balances more tension, which would allow them to be better able to hold your window up. Check out the guide below to see how you can charge a non-tilt window spiral balance.
Thanks for the reply! I looked at my windows...is the spiral part of the balance supposed to be along the inner edge of the lower window sash or is it part of the solid balance in the upper window sash? I think I am missing some of the spiral rods on some windows...
Profile picture of Tom
The spiral part of the balance extends from the tube, which rests in the window jamb. The end of the spiral connects to the bottom of the lower sash through a bracket/connector. What do your balances look like right now? Seeing some pictures of your setup may help us determine what the problem is.
Here are some pics. This is one window. There is a solid bar in the upper left part of window and a spiral in the lower left. On the right side of same window, there is a solid bar in upper part and nothing on lower.
Some of my windows don't even have anything on either side of lower part of window.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It looks like the spirals have just disconnected from the bottom of the sash. You may just need to charge them. Check out the handy guide below to see the best way to do this.
A quick learner from Friendswood TX says:
I'm in the same boat as these guys, perhaps we used the same builder. The sash is not removable nor do they swing out. Windows are difficult to open and several of the springs pop out the bottom of the sash. I have tried putting the clips for the spring back to the bottom of the sash but they will come off as soon as you open the window. I have about 20 Champion windows and nearly all of them have balance spring problems. My home was built in '99. From the best i could tell, the sash on these windows weighs about 25 lbs. i removed one of the springs to take pictures. I can't identify the color of the tube. It might be black. Length is 29" and the tube is 3/8" OD. I would like to get a starter kit with 6 balance springs, clips, torsion tool, rivets with rivet tool. If there is any other additional hardware you would recommend? Id like to give it a try, if this works, then i will order more. Thanks - Toby
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for posting, Toby. So just to confirm, you are looking for 6 S306-29 balances with a special 15-073 shoe attached, correct? We can actually custom make this for you here in the warehouse without you having to rivet the 15-073 shoe on yourself, if you'd prefer.

Before we do that I would just like you to confirm the weight of your sash. I know it's frustrating, since the sash can't be removed, but try your best to get as accurate a weight as you can. A black tip color option for this balance is uncommon and only meant for exceptionally heavy sashes.
A quick learner from Friendswood, TX says:
Thanks for responding. I tried to weigh the sash the best i could. Using my bodyweight before lifting the sash and while lifting the sash. It was around 26lbs. The demensions of the sash is 45.5" W x 30.5" Tall. These are single paned windows. I could not confirm the actual color of the spring, so it is quite possible it was not black.

I think it would be great if you could attach the special shoes as you suggested. I would likely only need the tool required to load the spring.

Thanks again - Toby
Profile picture of Tom
Great. I'm thinking our Yellow Tip. Two of these balances with a Yellow Tip can carry a sash weight of 24 through 34 pounds. I will email you the link shortly!
A quick learner from Lake Jackson says:
Same exact popping issue with my windows! I received my spiral balances a couple of weeks ago and tried to change one and it's almost impossible BC the window is not removable. This is my weekend project. I think the windows are just cheap and crappy- LOL. Our house was built in 1999 also. Good luck to you! If I figure out an easy way to change them, I'll post it.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)