SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Help with balance for tilt windows

A home owner from island of Kauai says:
Aloha,
I spoke to someone today. I live on the island of Kauai and our resources locally for any kind of window hardware are extremely limited. I have just bought a house with 21 year old, vinyl double hung windows and a number of balances and guides are broken. I
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Hopefully we can help. I cannot see your balance in this picture, only the shoe, but it resembles our 15-014. See if that's a match. If you need the entire balance, I will need to see more of the metal channel. For the pivot pair, see our 26-411 and see if our dimensions match yours.
A home owner from Kauai says:
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the product details. My biggest issue is I can NOT figure out how to remove the balance and in particular the shoe from the track. I've tried everything. I had hoped to do so to ensure a correct match. The balance is simply attached with one screw at the top of the metal channel and I did not send a photo as that is not the concern. I have tried everything imaginable to remove the shoe and am totally stumped. Any help would be very useful. In the meantime, these two items do look correct and I'll definitely need the pivots.
Profile picture of Paul
Seeing the metal channel actually would have been a big help! That said, watch this video. This information may allow you to finally remove the balances from the window.
A quick learner from Kauai says:
Thanks. I did previously watch this video and unfortunately there does not appear to be any way that I can remove the side/frame of the window or channel. It looks to be a solid vinyl welded frame. If I could remove it this would be a breeze. Here are a few shots of the balance in place. Do you have any other ideas? I've even thought of cutting the vinyl track above the balance in order to remove and insert a new shoe.
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
A quick learner from Kauai, HI says:
Hi Paul,
One more try. I've measured my tilt pivots and they are definitely an overall smaller dimension that the ones you show. I've reviewed the gallery of images and don't see another that resembles these. Are there any others you can point me to? I've now removed mine from the window and am sending a few shots so you can see how closely they look like the ones you mention, but they are smaller in every measurement. Help please. I'm almost there, having matched the balances (I think). Would it help if I send these to you?
User submitted photos of a pivot bar.
Hi Paul,
After just sending my last message, I see that there is a nylon pivot and these measurements all look the same. I found these after looking again at the balance knife/shoe you referred me to and I saw these images to the right of this. Maybe this is it. I just want to make sure these all fit as I'm going to order and have shipped to HI. I don't know how much that will cost and just want to ensure the right parts are ordered.

Thank you.
Jeff
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for getting back to us, Jeff. Are you referring to our 26-152 and 26-151 cam pivots? These may work, though your pivot bar is very old. If the dimensions are roughly the same they may do the trick.
Hi,
I now have a new problem. I've received the replacement parts, but part of the balances are different from what I need. Here are photos of what I received (per your website) and the shoe metal plate of what I have. Are these even available? Thanks so much for your help.

Jeff
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Jeff. I'm afraid we don't have a version of this shoe with that different shape clip. I'm not sure how much that would affect the function of the window, though. What's the purpose the indentation in your metal clip? Is it critical? Did you try installing the new balances? It's possible they may work regardless.
Hi Tom

Unfortunately it's a critical function. The clip/shoe will not fit into the track without this added "clearance". I was able to save two old shoes and tie them onto the new balances (replacing the new shoe) but I don't have any more of this style. I thought I might try grinding with a dremel, but I don't think there will be enough structural integrity of the metal clip let to function properly.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for clarifying. We are bringing in a new part that we will believe will fix this. I will let you know as soon as it becomes available!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Alright, please see our new 15-026. Sorry again for the confusion. Hopefully this is a better match for your original shoes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)