Helping identify window manufacturer

A quick learner says:
I'm trying to find a repair part, more than one actually, for 1960's vintage awning windows. As a starting point, I can't find the manufacturer's name on the window or crank. How do I identify the manufacturer?

Mike
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Mike. You could find the manufacturing information on the inside frame of the window, but that may not be necessary to find the hardware you need. If you take a few pictures of the crank, I can take a look at it and see if we have something similar.

I'll need to see the entire operator, so seeing it removed from the window would be ideal. Let me know!
A quick learner from near Daytona Beach, FL says:
OK - let's try although I haven't removed the crank.

First, I will have to buy a couple of crank assemblies if you have them (left side from inside of house), but that may not be the tricky part. Read on.

Pictures DSCO1760 and 1762 are views of the crank taken from inside the house.

Picture 1763 is a view of the rest of the operator taken from outside the house.

Let me know if you need more, and chat back.

Thnaks again.

Picture 1768 shows the location of the problem,halfhay up the pane of glass, although this shows the open window and the broken piece is on the stationary frame (next picture).

Finally, picture 1770 shows the piece on the opposite side of the window corresponding to the piece that broke. It's the plastic piece on the right in this photo. It's on the stationary window frame, halfway up the lower pane of glass.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Awesome! These pictures are a big help. Now, we have a lot of operators that are similar to this. Can you give me its dimensions? I'd like to know the distance between the screw holes, center to center, as well as the length of the link arm, center-of-hinge to the center hole at the end. In the meantime, you can browse through our Awning Window Replacement Operator Section and see if you can find a match here.
A quick learner from Florida says:
I hope the two attached pdf files come through OK, but if not,

Screw holes on inside of window crank (shaped like a capital L) two bottom screws 1&1/8 inches center to center. Two top screw holes 3/8" center to center. Top and bottom screws are 5 3/4" apart vertically.

Not sure which piece is the link arm, but I think it's the one with holes 2 1/2" apart. Hope you can see drawings I attached. If not, I'll print the pdf's, photograph them and send as jpg's. I'll be unavailable for a week, but will hope to see your reply when I return. Remember, we're trying to identify the manufacturer, and I need to order two operators as well as several other parts.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
User submitted a diagram of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience in this matter. Please check out our 39-279 and let me know if you think this could be a possible replacement.
A quick learner from Ormond Beach, FL says:
Dave or Tom

First, I see I had a couple of contradictions in dimensions between my sketches and my narrative. The drawing dimensions are correct. It may be that the operator you propose will work for me, but I still need to know the manufacturer of my window, because there is a broken plastic piece on the stationary frame that I need to replace. It's shown ion one of the photographs posted above. Any idea who made the windows?

Thanks for the assistance.

Mike
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, Mike. Unfortunately, I can't really tell what the manufacturer is based on these pictures. Are there any brand markings on the inside of the frame or sash? If not, you might want to contact a local handy person who is familiar with houses in your area. They may remember who built these windows of yours in the first place.
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.