Helping to repair a balance

A handy person from Rogersville says:
Doing maintenance for a very small apartment community and I've never repaired double-hung windows.
I've identified my Tilt Window Channel Balance as your Series 795. Usually the item that breaks is the T-Lock Balance Shoe (15-195), so my question is can I simply attach a new shoe to an existing Balance, or is there some reason that we need to purchase the assembled unit even if the Shoe is the only part broken? On a similar note, we also have some broken Balance Clip Attachments (15-198. It appears it would be easy enough to replace that by simply unhooking the spring and then replacing the broken clip by untying the knot and replacing the clip & retying the knot. I would appreciate your thoughts and experience. Thanks, Dean
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello! If the shoe is the only thing that's broken, and if the 15-195 is an exact match, I see no reason why you can't swap it out. These shoes should just snap on and off. Keep in mind there is an older type of balance similar to the Series 795 that has a groove in the bottom of the metal channel; if this is what you have, the 15-195 will not work.

As for the 15-198, you're exactly right. These can be swapped out by reknotting the cord. Many customers prefer that we do this for them, but if you're handy then it shouldn't be too much trouble. We recommend securing the cord in a vise, since it's under a lot of tension, then very carefully releasing it so that it doesn't snap back.
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.