Historic wood window needs spirals

A quick learner from USA says:
I have a historic wood window in a house that cannot be reinstalled via weight, chain, pulley.
I am looking for a spiral balance system for this window. It is a 39 inch sash for a double hung window.
Can you point me in the right direction of what I need to purchase?
I'm only seeing replacement spirals on your website, I need an entire kit to install from scratch.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Being that you have historic wood windows, our Series 500 5/8" balance with a 17-012 bracket will work very well. This balance system has been used by wood window manufacturers going back to the 1940s. To determine the lengths of your spiral balances, you would add 1" to the glass height for the top sash and 3" to the bottom sash glass height. I'd be happy to field any other questions that you might have, as well.
A home owner from Columbus Ohio says:
Do you need two for the balances for a window or one? We have 22 windows that average about 20-30 lbs each. Double hung. We are removing the single pane glass and installing new double pane low e insulated glass so we can remove the storm windows. That may change the weight of the window slightly.

If each sash is 30lbs (they vary through the house) do you need two spring loaded balances (one per side) for the 30 lbs?

Thanks for your help - we have been looking for this solution for a while.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

In almost all cases, you only need one balance per side. I have known some rare windows to use two per side, but those are in extreme cases where the weight of the sash is incredible. 30 pounds is not really that big of a deal. It's very unlikely that you need two balances per side. That would be overkill and your windows would probably operate worse for it.

At the end of the day, it depends on the size of the balance and the weight it supports. We have a chart on each Series 500 store page (assuming that's what you have) that tells you exactly how much weight each color tip option supports. That should tell you if the balances you want to buy can support the weight of your sash.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.