SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

How do I install this S306 shoe: before or after?

A quick learner from Dallas says:
I am replacing a number of spiral balances and have already identified my needs as:

29" Series 306 Spiral Balance (Product Code: S306-29) and Spiral Balance Shoe(Product Code: 15-066).

What is the sequence of installation. I haven't ordered the parts yet but want to know if the spiral balance comes with the shoe attached. If it is attached, how do I install through the side of the window with the shoe on? If it isn't attached, how do I rivet the shoe on after installed in the window?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, thanks for posting. Actually, our Series 306 comes with this shoe attached already on purchase. Then again, it never hurts to have a spare just in case!

As for how to install, it can be a little involved. Since you can't remove the sash, have someone hold the sash up while you slide the balance tube behind and in the sash so that you can screw the tube in at top hole. Then, with our 75-005 charging tool, turn the spiral clockwise to add tension. Two or three turns should do it, but you can feel the tension build in the spring as you turn so use your best judgement. Finally, hook the shoe to the sash using the tool.
A quick learner says:
Even with both balance tubes removed, the sash doesn't raise high enough to insert from below. All the balances I've removed so far from bottom of sash are destroyed because they had to be bent to be removed. Any ideas?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. In that case, you will have to try to drop it in from the top. You might have more room to work that way.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)