SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

How do I tilt in my Traco window

A quick learner from Chicago says:
I have TRACO single hung windows. There is no lock. The window latches securely at the bottom when closed completely. I cannot figure out how to tilt the window so I can clean the outside. I live on the 7th floor.

thanks,
Jacqueline
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us, Jacqueline. It's possible that you might not have a tilt-in Traco window. Please send us some close up photos of your window and we can try to come up with a solution.
Sorry but I can't send pics. At the top of the moveable lower guillotine window, there are 2 Philips head screws on each side screwing in a black rectangular patch that has 2 adjustable openings the screws fit into - the kind of round opening with a narrower tail where you can push the head of the screw into the round end and then slide it across to the narrow end. Like some buttonhole openings - I don't know the proper lingo. Anyway, does this mean I can loosen the screws and slide the ends of the black rectangles out of the sliding area, tilt and clean?
thanks
P.S. I did figure out how to remove & replace the screens BUT I can only clean about 1/3 of the window by reaching from the inside and out. I guess I could sit on the window sill and squeeze out under the window so my body would be outside and the window bottom bracing my thighs inside. But I'm 67 and not quite as agile as I used to be & it's 7 floors up. The building management has been promising window washing for 3 years and window washers came & left last Spring. I told management before window washers were hired that all of the screens would have to be removed from the inside by maintenance before windows could be cleaned from the outside. Nobody was paying attention, I guess. This is a newly rehabbed building and everyone is new & young. So, I'll wait for your info. I suppose if the window doesn't come out, I'll have to look for some kind of extendable squeegie thing to clean from the inside.
thanks again for your help.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
From your description, it sounds like you have a the Traco Series TR-9100 Heavy duty tilt window. This window is designed to tilt in by the maintenance people because of the weight of the sash. If I'm right, I don't recommend you trying it yourself. You're going to need maintenance to help you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)