SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

How do you determine the height of the Wool Pile?

A quick learner from Southern California says:
All the windows in my place use wool piles. (Three left or right sliders and one up and down window) The windows are aluminum and over 40 years old, and I doubt the wool piles were ever replaced. The wool piles are either completely disintegrated except for the section that slides in the rails or the wool piles are worn down to the window rail frame. From the looks of some areas of the wool pile it looks to have 2 or 3 fins.

How do you determine the proper height of the wool pile needed?

The slide railings are 9/32" on all windows except for one odd ball slide railing which measured 5/16". The area where the wool pile fits is 3/16" wide. The height from the slide railing to the top of the rail assembly is 3/32" high.

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It's hard to determine the height of any wool pile with out seeing the original. Take a look at 58-045 and 58-059, though. Do you think either of these could work? Compare these with your windows and see if you think you have the space. If you can find a good piece of wool pile, send us a photo of it with dimensions. That would help us identify the replacement you need.
As stated the wool piles are either worn down to the metal frame or completely disintegrated leaving only the section that slides in rails. The other issue being when I tried to remove a small section it would disintegrate. The next chance I get I'll try to photograph the wool pile in the rails.

The 58-059 seems like it wouldn't be high enough to seal. And, the 58-045 might be too high.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think our 58-045 may be your best bet. Since wool pile isn't stiff you can afford for it to be a little higher.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)