How does the 80-014 step down bolt work?

A landlord from Minnesota says:
how does a Step Down Security Bolt work and how can I install it?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting.

The 88-014 Step Down Security bolt is installed on the lower back of the sliding patio door. You will also have to drill a hole in the stationary patio door to accept the through-bolt that will extend out when the lock is engaged. However be very careful; you might want to hire a lock smith to install this lock for you, or at least someone who is very familiar with installing these types of after market locks. You definitely do not want to accidentally drill through the glass on the patio door!
A home owner from Oceanside, California says:
Sir: Could you tell what the distance is for the hole spacing on the 80-014 Step Down Security Bolt and what the overall measurements are for that item. Thank you, John Knittle.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! The distance between the hole centers is approximately 5/8".
A quick learner from Oceanside, California says:
Thanks so much for the quick response. I have ordered two of the 88-014 Step Down Security bolts as that is just what I need. Thanks again. John
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.