SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

How is this Pella roller attached?

A home owner from Maryland says:
How is the 81-098 attached? Is it simply a friction-fit?

I think this might be the right roller for my door, but i'm not 100% sure. I do not see a model number anywhere on the roller other than the words "Heim 468B" on the roller.

There is no obvious way to remove the assembly from the door frame.

thanks!
~aaron
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
81-098 Pella Roller Replacement Instructions
1) Remove the vent panel by lifting up on the panel while pulling outward slightly on the bottom. If the sliding door is equipped with a retaining angle, the rubber bumpers and handles must be removed so that the panel can be placed in the full open position. In this position the retainer angle may be removed. See picture below showing the retaining angle.
View of the retaining angle on the Pella patio glass sliding door.
2) On models prior to Pella 701, remove the plastic protectors in the adjusting holes and remove the adjusting screw before attempting to pull out the roller asembly.
Pella model pre-701 and 701 patio door rollers.
The roller assembly may be easily pulled out with the aid of a wire loop and claw hammer as shown in the picture below.
Photo of the Pella roller assembly being removed using a wire loop and a hammer.
If the glass door does not slide smoothly after replacing the rollers, you may need to adjust the rollers to raise the door clear of the track. Adjust the rollers up or down to make sure the edge of the movable door is parallel to the side of the door frame. Use a long-shaft Phillips screwdriver to adjust the rollers. Turn the adjustment screw clockwise to raise the end of the door, and turn counterclockwise to lower it.
Photo of adjusting the rollers on a patio glass door.
A home owner from Alabama says:
Just replaced a roller in one of my Pella doors using the 81-098 and the instructions shown on this page.

Worked like a charm! Thanks for the part and the instructions!
A handy person from Washington, D.C. says:
How do you remove the adjusting screw before trying to pull out the roller with a wire and claw hammer? Do I twist clockwise? (I tried twisting both ways and neither way loosened the screw so that it seemed to come loose from its "socket.)

(I'll buy two old style pella rollers if I can figure out how to get the old rollers out.)

Also, how do I get the wire to loop ... stick one end into the roller and try to wind it around the wheel?

Thanks for your help. David
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
If you cannot remove the adjusting screw, try turning it in so it doesn't stick out and damage the rail. For the wire, you may be able to loop it around a part inside the roller housing.
A quick learner from AZ says:
Is the main difference between OEM roller and #81-249 that the wheel is metal verses nylon?
If so, what is the life expectancy difference between the two.
Thank you
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Neither the 81-098 or 81-249 have a nylon wheel.
The 81-249 roller is the generic version (not genuine Pella); it is a very good replacement assembly, I would use in in my own home.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)