SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

How to identify a broken channel balance top.

A handy person from USA says:
Hi. Your website has been great to determine most of the parts I need to order, but I do have a problem that I need help with. Channel guide 2930, series 380 I believe. The problem: I can't tell what top sash part I need. The 3 or 4 that I have are all broken on the lower portion, hence no overall length can be taken. The width is 5/8", the height (prior to broken off part) is 5/8", and the top "cap" portion is 7/8" x 1/2". I have no idea what the lowest portion of these parts look like or their size. HELP! I might also ask what roll these play and when/how are they installed. Thanks so much. I do allot of handyman work, but this is my first interaction with windows.

Well, I'm awake now!!!!! Just kidding, but I did figure it out. After I looked closely at one of your diagram's, I saw that the top sash is actually mounted to the window frame. I removed the window, and the broken off part was still attached via the screw. Your part 18-161 is the ticket. I will be placing an order for those and channel balancers now!

Many thanks, Terry
Further update: I am online, trying to order parts, but am now unsure about the correct channel balancer. My old one is marked 2930. It does measure 30". Your part S380-30 looks perfect, except the online diagram shows 15-005 as being 1". My old one measures 7/8" or maybe 13/16".Is this still the right part? I looked at all of the other offerings, and they don't tell that dimension of the top and shoe.

I'm ready to order once we are clear. Thank you, Terry
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, Terry! I'm glad you were able to find what you needed. As for the balance, our Series 380 has the smallest shoe we can offer, but I still think it's a good choice even if your shoe is a little more shallow. It's possible that it has simply worn down with age. Even if it hasn't, you could always grind it down to size if absolutely necessary.
A quick learner from Apollo Beach says:
Hello and thank you. I was thinking the same way, but was not sure given this is new territory for me. I will order and do as suggested if necessary. Thank you again,
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)