SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

How to repair my window.

A home owner from Bartonsville, PA says:
Hello,

My window won't stay up and my local carpenter told me that the "coil" is broken and I need to find a replacement.

Unfortunately the window doesn't have a brand name, and I looked everywhere.

Attached is a picture of the part I need.

Do you know what brand of window I have? Do you have a suitable replacement part?

Your help would be appreciated,

Daina
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, if your window cannot stay up then it's a problem with the balance. We don't need to know the brand name to identify the part. You took a picture of the right thing, but much of it is obscured and I cannot make it out. If you can, please take a clear picture of the entire balance mechanism, especially the pivot shoe. Please do not include the ruler. Thanks!
Thank you Tom for your reply.

I took a picture of the balance from another identical
window, a balance that is not broken. Two photos are attached, top and bottom.

If you can tell me what kind to get, I will purchase a bunch of them to replace on all my windows.

Thanks.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I still cannot make out the pivot shoe, but I think your coil spring and pivot shoe have been replaced by the manufacturer with the 15-140 shoe and Series 150 springs. See what you think.
Thanks for the information.

I will order these parts and see what happens.

Daina
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)