SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

How to replace 91-089 Sears Storm Door Latch

A quick learner from Riverton Wyoming says:
Product Code: 91-089
I believe the part listed above is the ones i need, but can not figure out how to remove the old ones to see if they are a match. If you have any suggestions of the removal of them I assume the installation is the reverse.

There does not seem to be any dimples, or stops preventing the latches from coming out the sides. A stop must be internal somewhere preventing this. Or are the latches set in place prior to the side frames being pressed onto the glass? If this is the case can I complete this procedure without breaking the glass?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....the Handle set 40-043 i just received from you was a perfect fit and required almost 2 minutes to remove the old one and have the new one working....thanks!

Eric
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It's been awhile since I've repaired a Sears latch. From what I can remember, you must separate the bottom lift rail from the sash itself. Be careful when you do this, as you don't want to damage the glass.

Next, lay the storm sash on a work bench and use a large flat screwdriver and a hammer to tap off the bottom rail. There should be a channel on the edge of the sash to allow you to get the screw driver in to tap out the corner.

Once you remove the bottom rail, secure it in a vise and tap out the latch and corner. Try to save the corner so you can reuse it.

This job could be a little tricky, so you might want a local hardware store or glass shop to do the work for you.
A quick learner says:
You say : "It's been awhile since I've repaired a Sears latch. From what I can remember, you must separate the bottom lift rail from the sash itself. Be careful when you do this, as you don't want to damage the glass." but you don't say how to remove the bottom lift rail from the sash ?!

Sears storm door = 65665111270 Finger latch = DP11372. ( same as shown above !
I would like to do it correctly !

Thanks

Richie
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Have you seen our tutorial video on how to remove your storm window latches? Take a look and let me know if that helps.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)