SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Hurd aluminum window screen

A home owner from Wisconsin says:
My aluminum Hurd window screens need corner keys. The screens were installed in 1999. Each leg of the key is 1 3/4" long, the inner thickness is 7/16", the corner thicknes is 1/2". Do you sell replacement keys? Vinyl? Metal?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Yes, we do sell corner keys. Please take a look at Swisco's Corner Keys section to get started. If you cannot identify the needed hardware online, you can post some pictures of your current corner keys to have us identify a replacement for them.
A quick learner from Rochester, NY says:
My Hurd keys (old pre-12/96 style) break regularly. Pic attached of what half the keys look like. All dimensions appear workable except the left hand shot, where the key is 1/2" whereas your 3/4"x7/16" key shows 5/8" dimension. Looks like your key would still work though - any experience here? Thanks, Mike.
User submitted photo of broken corner key.
Profile picture of Mike
Have you taken a look at the 95-181 Corner Key?
95-181 look great! ETA on bronze color? Thanks, Mike.
Profile picture of Mike
We will post an update to this discussion as soon as the Bronze corner is available.
A home owner from New Mexico says:
I have the exact same corner keys (and problem with breakage)from Hurd. The miter space is 3/16 of an inch. Is it the same on the 95-181? That measurement isn't shown on the picture and could make a difference in the fit.
Profile picture of Mike
Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what measurement you're referring to.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
The 95-181, Pella Screen Corner, is now available in the colors champagne or Pella bronze.
A home owner from Santa Fe says:
I have exactly the same problem with my Hurd screens as all the above posters.

Mike, the "miter space" that "home owner from New Mexico" is referring to is the width of the 45-degree spacer element. Photo attached, to explain.

So, does the Pella 95-181 have the same measurement in that miter area?
A customer submitted photo of a screen corner.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
There is a possibility that your screen corner is our 95-169 Anderson Screen Frame Corner, but it would be impossible to say for sure unless we see the rest of the piece inside the screen. Is there any way you can remove it and take a picture so that we can know for sure?
A home owner from Santa Fe says:
hi Donna,
I have the exact same corner keys as "quick learner from Rochester" above. They're Hurd, not Anderson.

I'm attaching another photo of a removed key, with all measurements marked.

So, does the Pella 95-181 have the same measurement in the diagonal miter area? All the other measurements match.
A customer submitted photo of a screen corner.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The measurement of the 95-181's "diagonal" area does not match up with your sample, unfortunately, at 1/16" wide.
OK I finally got around to installing the "Pella 95-181" keys on my Hurd window screens. The keys fit fine but the reduction in the 45-degree spacer element (from 3/16" on the original Hurd to 1/16" on the replacement Pella keys) understandably results in screens that now fit more loosely in the window frame. If you are a perfectionist it will probably bother you to have an extra 1/8" gap all around the screen frame.
A quick learner from mchenry, md says:
See previous comments about 95-181 Pella replacement for HURD with 1/16 diagonal spacer (too small).

Does Andersen 95-169 have 3/16" diagonal spacer and will fit (3/8 x 1/2 end view) ?

Thanks Dave
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. I have placed you into an existing discussion regarding using these two screen corners are substitutes for Hurd screens. Please read above for more information.

I should also mention that the 58-026 stick-on base wool pile is a good choice to use to fill in the extra space around the parameter of the screen, to make up for the difference.
A quick learner from Redstone Colorado says:
Just a followup to the string above. I have similar problems getting replacement corner keys for Hurd screens. I ordered the 95-169 Anderson screen frame corners. They are almost a perfect solution. The fit is slightly loose, but if you squeeze the frame ends slightly with your fingers, the corners snug up pretty well. The frames fit perfectly back in the windows with none of the slop noted above with the Pella corners.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)