SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Hurd window balance replacement

A quick learner from USA says:
I have 1987 Hurd compression jamb double hung windows and the top window will not stay up. Do you have the replacement parts and instructions if I pull the side jamb out. I know they no longer make the side jambs.

I am thinking Series 600 spiral balance and a pivot shoe would work but I am not sure and do not know which pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. If the only problem is the window not staying up, then there's no reason to remove your jambs. Take a look at the video below.
Also keep in mind that it's a good idea to simply try charging your balances first. After one or two turns, you should feel its tension build. Sometimes that gives it a little more life and is all you need.

As for the pivot shoes, you only need to replace yours if they are damaged. They don't really have a role in keeping the window up, that's the job of the balance. If your shoes are damaged, though, browse through our pivot shoe section and compare our pictures and dimensions to your part.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)