SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

I need a new sliding door handle

A quick learner from Metairie, LA says:
Hello, I am trying to replace a sliding glass door handle set with 4 1/8" screw holes in aluminum or white. Do you have anything in stock that would work? Thank you.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Donna. I'm afraid that we don't have any handle set that matches those dimensions. Can you confirm that the hole spacing is 4-1/8"? Make sure to only measure center-to-center.

If so, could we see a few pictures of the handle set in question? That will help us locate a replacement.
A quick learner from Metairie, LA says:
Thanks, Tom. I've attached a few pictures of the handle I need to replace. If you measure the holes from the interior side to interior side rather than the middle of each hole, it does measure 4". Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.
User submitted photos of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Great pictures! I think I might recognize this. Looks like it could be an old Keller lock. I What's broken could be the mortise latch inside the door.

We won't be able to replace this exact handle, but maybe you can use a surface-mount handle set like our 82-005 as a substitute. What do you think?
A quick learner from Metairie, LA says:
Thanks, Dave. I don't need the exact handle, but I would prefer aluminum rather than wood, if possible. Actually, just the hook that attaches to the latch inside the door is broken, I think. Shouldn't the hook be attached to that piece that's butting out of the back of the handle near the 2" line on the picture? I really can't tell if 82-005 would be a substitute, I guess we'd have to drill new holes?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. Unfortunately, we don't have an aluminum version of our 82-005. I figured that the mortise lock inside your door is the thing that's broken, but unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that with this kind of door. It's very old and the hardware used for it is very unique, so a surface-mount option is the only kind of replacement we can recommend. You may have to drill new holes, yes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)