SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Can I rehang these sashes with new mechanisms?

A handy person from Davidson, NC says:
The sashes are in very good condition. Is there any way to rehang them with new raising and lowering mechanisms? Also, I have never seen a mechanism like the ones in my windows...did they ever work well and what are they called.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good morning! Yes, those mechanisms are called spiral balances. Yours appears to be similar to our Series 500 but take a look and let me know if you agree. You may also need a new bracket. Check out our 17-007 or 17-012.
A handy person from Davidson, NC says:
Thanks. This looks very promising. Where do I take the measurement to determine the correct length to order? Is it from the main window frame to the top of the sash?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
No, the measurement that you want to determine the length of the balance would be the balance tube itself. It would be just the tube. You can see an example of the length we need on the Series 500 page.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)