SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

ID and order coil balance

A quick learner from Whitman MA says:
I need replacement coils for my 26hX28w double insulated sash windows. According to the formula I need 6lb coils but I have a number 8(see photos) stamped on the coil so I would most likely need the 8 lb coil. More importantly is that the coil is 1/2 inch wide. So if you can confirm that the series 150 coil balance is 1/2 inch wide I think the 8 lb would be the correct item to order. Thanks.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I agree, this coil spring closely resembles our Series 150 balance. I would also recommend the S150-8, but you might want to double check the weight of your window sash by removing the sash from the window and placing it on a scale. Any common bathroom scale will do. Two S150-8 coil balances working in tandem can carry a window sash weight of 16 pounds.
A quick learner from Whitman MA says:
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you tell me if the S-150-8 coil is 1/2 inch wide or less?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the Series 150 coil springs are approximately 1/2" thick.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)